Friday 22 August 2014

Meringue Moulds

Can you mould meringues?  These are the questions that keep me up at night.  Lets find out.
P.S Not 'do meringues go mouldy?'



It is probably no surprise to you at all, that the only moulds I have in my home are Christmas-themed:
 I resisted the urge to make robins, trees and Santas, though, and went with the star mould for my experiment.  It is vital that the moulds you use are silicon - you need to be able to manoeuvre, re-shape and pull away the moulds at the end.  I whipped up one egg white and 40g of warmed caster sugar and transferred this into a plastic sandwich bag, cutting the corner to create a piping bag:
 ...and used this to make sure the meringue reached the corners of the mould and filled to the top:
 I left the top unfinished, but you could over-fill the mould and then neatly scrape the top to
remove the excess with the flat of a knife to give a cleaner finish:
 Once my moulds were filled, I popped into an oven at 90 degrees C for 2 hours:
....and was pretty impressed when they came out in one piece and didn't blow the oven up:
The meringues had risen in the oven, but seemed to retain their shape.
After cooling I attempted to remove the meringues, presuming they were welded to the moulds or would come out in broken pieces, but they were tougher than I thought and came free easily....
....and in one piece too.
I pulled the tops away from the meringue to start, moving down the sides and then easing
the meringues out.  This is why you need the mould to be silicon.
 The meringues were nice and crisp, the bottoms and sides a little more crunchy and a few
that the sugar had caramelised at the bottom:
So, if you've ever wondered - yes, you can mould meringues.
Have a great weekend!
see you next time x
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig