Friday 9 January 2015

Personalised Embossed Wallets


Just before Christmas, I invested in an embossing stamp tool on eBay [search metal stamping kit and you’ll find a range that average around £8 - £13].  I love stamp projects and have used them in stationery and food crafts [not at the same time, don't worry].

For presents last year, I personalised some card wallets picked up in the sales for gift cards and it was much simpler and less scary than I thought it would be. 

What I Used:
Metal Punch Stamp Kit
Fabric Card Wallet


Practice makes perfect and I was not going to take any risks with this DIY, so I used cardboard and scrap pvc/leatherette fabric to really practice placement and technique.

The tool is spring-loaded, so with a quick push, the stamp is snapped in to the fabric with an obvious click, punching and embossing the fabric.  This took me a while to figure out – I’d just been pushing the stamp with as much weight as I could – and you can see the difference in the impressions left below - firstly on the card:

..and then on the fabric
see the change in the word [ignore the wonky 'T'!]:

Once I got the hang of how the tool actually worked [*rolls eyes*], I started to practice the placement of letters and spacing between them.  I’m excellent and well versed in stamping words that can have a space that almost creates two separate ones - sometimes, this is a lovely by-product of handmade items and adds much more charm to a project, however; I practiced to minimise the variance in spacing between letters.  As the stamps were diamond-shaped, there wasn’t really a special technique to this that I could find – practice and judging by eye, then making a very light impression to double check before embossing worked best for me.  Once I’d practiced all I could, it was time to emboss the wallet.

The wallet is made from pvc fabric, so I knew that this would mean after the stamp was punched, the fabric would have a bit of ‘spring’ and mould back in to place around the embossed letter.  [A fabric such as leather will leave an impression less likely to change after stamped].
To help with my alignment, I placed a paper tab to give me a clear [but removable] straight guide line to follow:
I also used the diamond shape of the stamp to help me ensure the letter would be pressed in a straight line, lining up the bottom point with the paper tab edge:
Choosing my position, making a light impression to check I was happy, I stamped the initials:
Once complete, I ‘fixed’ the impressions further with a quick run with the iron [under a tea towel to protect the fabric].  I then added the initials to the back as well [I felt like I was on a bit of a roll....]
I’m really pleased with the outcome and will be a bit braver with what I emboss in the future – whether full names or quotes and I’d like to try embossing with colour next – if it happens, I’ll share the results on here!
see you next time x 

Notes:
  • The stamps I purchased were a little ‘straight off the machine in to the packaging’ – so needed a little clean and thorough dry before use.  It may be worth doing this to your stamps to minimise them marking your fabric – once adhered, it can be difficult to remove and create a ‘smudge’ effect around the embossing.
  • The letters are formed closely to the edges of the stamp – meaning some letters stand out more than others [I found the A in particular wasn’t as defined as others]
  • The letters do not stand away from the stamp, so once punched; the outline of the stamp may also be visible [you can see this is a few of the photos].  I did find that after a few minutes, this outline disappeared and any debris from the spring easily wiped away [mainly thanks to the finish of the fabric].
Share:

8 comments

  1. Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips. Personalised Wallets

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.
    chain wallets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Informative Blog having nice sharing.. love story gift

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your articles that you have shared with us. Hopefully you can give the article a good benefit to us. Personalised Leather Bag

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you.. Good post... If someone Connect buyer or supplier then he Should following AristaExport.com. Find the top quality and reliable Leather Wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a good common sense Blog. Very helpful to one who is just finding the resources about this part. It will certainly help educate me. metal stamp

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't forget to have a look at this amazing collection of eco bag - stylish, sturdy and affordable as well!

    ReplyDelete

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig