Monday 28 April 2014

How to Make Meringue Pops

This was always going to happen eventually - meringues on a stick - heaven!  
Can we make this a thing?
I've blogged many a trial of meringues, from kisses to rosesfruitsnestspavlovas and berry cream.  I've also been blogging most recently about lots of experiments and trial runs.  Today is no exception - this was all done in preparation for my Dad's big fab 60th and to see if the idea I had actually worked.

I started by making a batch of whipped meringue [1 egg white to 40g caster sugar ratio] and splitting the mixture into 3.  To each mixture, I added a few drops of gel colouring [gel colouring keeps it's colour in the 'bake'] and created swirls of the colour through each mixture by not mixing it completely:

I then transferred each mixture into a piping bag as I thought this would give me more control on the shapes I wanted to create. Now, I have failed miserably in taking photos of this first stage of the process, so I'll make up for that with the final creation of these meringue pops later in the year.  To start, pipe the shape of meringue on to a baking tray lined with baking paper.  Fill in the shape and this will become your first layer.  Lay a skewer or cake pop stick to the bottom of the shape [at least 2cm into the shape] and then create a second layer of the meringue on top to cover it.

I created letters, shapes and numbers to test out the options:

..also, adding sprinkles for decorations works and looks fab:
Pop in an oven on low heat for around an hour and then allow to cool completely.  Ta-da!
A few pink, yellow and orange ribbons tied to just underneath the meringue, these became fantastic edible wands for my God Daughters:
...I think these will be edible cake toppers when recreated nearer the big birthday.
see you next time x
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Things She Makes | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig